Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm.
The Ministry of Tourism (MOT) Scholarship Programme represents the Government's efforts to facilitate more Caymanian involvement in the tourism industry. It's designed for students who demonstrate a financial need and strong evidence of their desire and intent to pursue a Bachelors or Masters Degree in tourism or a tourism related discipline.
Since its inception in 1996, this annual scholarship has awarded over 150 students full or partial scholarships. Many of these students have gone on to work full time in the tourism industry, and now some hold senior positions at the Department of Tourism and other tourism establishments.
Historically MOT scholars have earned degrees in disciplines such as marketing, public relations and communications, tourism and environmental management, hotel management, travel tourism and hospitality and the visual arts at universities and colleges in the US, England and Canada.
- A full scholarship can be awarded for a maximum of four years
- US$25,000 is available per academic year
- Partial scholarships may be awarded at the committee’s discretion
- Students are required to return to Cayman and work in the tourism field for the period of time equivalent to their scholarship
- Students must maintain at least a 2.5 cumulative grade point average in the first year and a 3.0 cumulative grade point average, with no failures thereafter
- Scholars are required to complete at least one eight-week internship during their studies
- Be Caymanian or hold Caymanian status.
- Be at least 17 years of age.
- Be resident in the Cayman Islands for a minimum of four years prior to applying.
- Be accepted to a competitively ranked accredited institution and have the necessary academic background to achieve success.
- Be a strong communicator with good interpersonal skills, work ethic and character.
- All applications must be submitted in the first week of May. Please contact the Department of Tourism for more information.
All applications must be submitted by the end of the first week of May. For further information please contact Tunisia Barnes at the Department of Tourism.
“Graduating from university this year, could not have been possible without the help of the Cayman Islands Ministry of Tourism scholarship. I am beyond grateful for their investment in me and look forward to when I can provide my services in the tourism industry. The MOT scholarship not only gave me a sense of financial security but also a heightened sense of patriotism. I represented the Cayman Islands in the way I interacted with my peers and spoke highly of my country to anyone I could find. Interacting with other students from neighboring Caribbean countries showed me how unique our tourism product truly is. Today, I am a more well-rounded and motivated Hospitality and Tourism Professional with much hope for the future!”
“The Cayman Islands Ministry of Tourism scholarship supports my future career aspirations and set in motion my path with all the resources needed. The scholarship provided me with an opportunity to gain knowledge and experience in my chosen career field as well as represent my islands internationally. In studying business and medicine, I have realized my potential for entering the medical tourism field and supporting my community in the future. The MoT scholarship has allowed me to challenge myself as a student and continue to strive daily for success as I acquire the necessary tools to create a better future for both myself and my community.”
133 Elgin Avenue George Town, Cayman Islands