These wholesome muffins are delicious and full of goodness. You can even freeze them so you always have extras on hand for breakfast on the go.
- 1 2/3 cups quick oats
- 1 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups coconut sugar (or light brown sugar if you prefer)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups low fat buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups peeled, grated apples
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place oats in a food processor. Pulse 5-6 times until oats resemble a coarse flour.
- Put oat flour in a large mixing bowl and add the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix thoroughly until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs then incorporate buttermilk, sugar and vanilla. Whisk to combine then stir in grated apple.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Spoon batter into liners (about three tbsp of batter per cup). If desired, sprinkle sugar on top of each muffin for aesthetic appeal.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until muffins spring back slightly when touched and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.