Using up those ingredients at the back of your cupboard.
- 150g Broccoli (chopped into small florets) or choose your favourite veg, and use frozen for ease
- 300g Penne pasta
- 40g Butter
- 1 Small leek
- 25g Flour
- 600ml Milk
- 100g Frozen peas
- 175g Mature cheddar cheese (or your favourite)
- 1 Slice of day-old brown bread (into crumbs)
- Pre-heat oven to 390°F/fan 350°F. Put the broccoli (or other veg) in a steamer over boiling water. Steam for around 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to the pack instructions.
- Heat the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the leek and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes more. Take the pan off the heat and gradually whisk in the milk. Return to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring all the time. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the peas (from frozen) and bring back to a simmer. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the broccoli (or other veg), then add 125g of the cheese.
- Stir the pasta into the sauce and transfer to an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and the breadcrumbs. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbling.